Archive for January, 2012
In my very first post to you on the year of the sexy life, I pointed out that the most sucessful New Years resoluters broke their goal into small chunks. So today’s post is going to refer to a the 10% rule. It is well known in the TV show world that when pitching a new idea, that in order to achieve audience acceptance, that the new show should only be about 10% different from what alreadys exists. Have a show about housewives? Okay how about a show about housewives with Army husbands? The concept is really that simple.
The basic premis of the idea is that people are inclined to accept something that is mostly familiar to them. This applies to the year of the sexy life because this week I have a list for you to look at, things you might want to change by a measly 10%. They are only suggestions, pick one idea that feels right or make up your own and try them out for a month.
1. Make your bedroom 10% sexier. Don’t be a perfectionist on this. If your bedroom is like most people the 10% could be as simple and keeping the sheets fresh and keeping a vase of fresh flowers. For others the 10% could be as simple as a solemn vow to keep the dirty clothing (no that was not a euphemism for lingerie) in the basket and off the floor. Don’t underestimate the importance of having somewhere delightful to turn into for the night.
2. Make youself matter (by only 10% more). It is well and good to plan a major overhaul of your life, it is even better to put yourself first. But, as discussed above it can be too big of a shake up and lead to a desire to return to old habits, just to be comfortable. So, just find one thing that makes you feel great and is just for you. Whether it is simple as laying out your clothing the night before, buying something totally indulgent or make sure the house is stocked with your favourite drink and not letting yourself run out.
3. Try something new 10 times this year. Go somewhere else, eat something new, attend a festival or read a book that your normal wouldn’t. It makes you that little more interesting and gives you something to special to remember, a way of anchoring parts of your life. You never remember the 15th time you went to the grocery store in a year, but you remember went the celtic festival and tried Welsh rarebit. Make your life that little bit more sparkly.
After about a month of a small change it should become second nature, from there you can the suave business executive and try another idea, that again is only about 10% different. So that is this week’s post, make you life that little bit sexier by changing just a little bit.
Getting a surprise is part of the fun of presents, but this begs the question:
How do you pick lingerie when it isn’t for you, but you cannot ask the person your are buying it for anything?
Easy! you go through 4 stupidly simple steps:
1. Be a spy and go on an intelligence mission. Start with the laundry baskets, and find a bra that she has worn recently, note down the size. Do not go into the drawer to guess hunt out information! Most women will not admit to this so I will let you in on a secret, women often have clothes they are hoping to fit into again one day. If it is recently worn, it will fit.
When you get her size right she will think you are the most thoughtful man in all of New Zealand. Completely worth the effort. Pay special attention to the number (could be anything from 6-24). Look this up on our lingerie size chart.
Next, go to her closet and look at all her shirts, especially the ones she wears on the weekends. Are you seeing a lot of pink and red? Get red lingerie. Seeing a lot of lace or beads? Get something lacey. If you see sequins or satin, make sure you get her some satin lingerie. If your lady is wild enough to wear animal prints in public, get animal print lingerie.
2. Pick a style. Don’t panic, my suggestion is that a babydoll or chemise is the way to go. Because of the cut of the fabric it looks great on all women and isn’t so raunchy that it will put her off. If you know she loves bustiers or teddies, then by all means get her one of those.
3. Hunt out the best accessories for her. You would be surprised how much women love our elbow length gloves. I don’t know if it comes from from playing with Barbies or wanting to dress up a like princess, but women just love them. They feel great on the skin, which is a bonus for you. If her legs are one of her best assest I recommend this pair of stockings. They will stay up on their own so you don’t need a garter belt.
4. Wrap it up! Some men really struggle with thing likes wrapping up presents, the tape, ribbons and colour co-ordination is beyond them. Never fear, order with me before the 1rst of February and I will wrap it up for you! Simple as that.
There you have it, 4 stupidly simple steps to picking out lingerie for your lady. If you are still feeling a little lost get in contact with me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get you through this.
These truffles are easy to make, and a fun finger food. Kissing off the stray topping from around the lips is darn fun too!
4 cups roughly chopped chocolate (milk or dark your choice). Please do not use the cheapest brand in the supermarket-Whittaker or better for this.
1 tin of condensed milk
1 T of good vanilla extract
Various toppings. Make sure you have lots of selection (just like with lingerie). I like toasted coconut, choppeds peanuts, shaved chocolate, cocoa poowder, icing sugar, sprinkles, pecans, cinnamon sugar, broken peppermint candy canes….
1. In a large microwave safe bowl add first 3 ingrediants. Microwave in 30 second blasts at 50% power and stir often. Not too hot or else the chocolate will burn.
2. Melt and mix throughly as while lumps are not the end of the world in this recipe (unlike cheesecake), they do degrade the mouth feel.
3. Place batter in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Now for the fun part! Get out lots of wine glasses (trust me) and fill with your favourite toppings from above. Put in about 2 tablespoons per glass.
1. Take some cooking spray and use it on your hands, it washes off don’t worry.
2. Using a small spoon take out blobs of the batter and roll into rough balls.
3. Drop balls into the toppings and swirl it in the wine glass.
4. Place back into the fridge to firm up.
These are meant to be hand fed to a lover, I love presenting them in a wine glass. Gives it a more decadent, adult feel to the truffles.
Happy almost Valentines Day!
PS. Did you know that the French orginially invented chocolate truffles. They preffered to roll the batter into cocoa powder. The velelty blacks balls resembled a very expensive fungus, so they named the treat after the fungal truffles.
P.P.S. I just love having fun with you girls on this blog. To make Valentines Day extra special I am offering free shipping on all orders over $150 dollars and free gift wrapping for all orders shipped to New Zealands. This offer will end the 1rst of February, so go shopping online now!
Valentines Day all started because on a priest who was ultimately beheaded for reasons that are unimportant (though it should be noted that men who forget a Valentines Day gift could suffer the same fate). What is important however is that a tradition of giving romantic, grand gestures to symbolise undying affection was started. Here are some gift throughout history that top the list as most exceptional.
1. When extravagent gifts are mentioned inevitabely that Taj Mahal is mentioned. It was built for Emperor Jahan’s favourite wife in memorial of their love filled life together (they had 14 children together). It took over 22,000 workers, 1,000 elephants and 22 years to complete it. When it came to deciding what should be on the list of the New Wonders of the World, the Taj Mahul recieved over 100 million votes, truly the Emperor knew how to impress.
2. Taylor-Burton Diamond- 69.42 carats of sparkly pear shaped indulgence. Though, it almost was the Cartier Diamond for all of time. Burton and Cartier were at the same auction trying to purchased the diamond, Cartier won the bidding war. However, Burton decided that the diamond was destined for his wife, so he bought it for an inflated price from Cartier the same day. Elizabeth Taylor debuted it at Princess Grace of Monaco’s 40th birthday party. The diamond upstaged the princess and *almost* upstaged Elizabeth.
3. When Roman Abramovich (a Russian billionaire) decided that he need to woo his girlfriend, he decided to go all out. He purchased the Femme de Venise, for over $10 million dollars. The beautiful bronze sculpture was crafted in 1958 by Alberto Giacometti, who was largely inspried by his wife Annette.
4. This is another (ancient) wonder of the world, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. This was built for for the beloved wife Amytis, her husband Nebuchadnezzar II knew how homesick she was for her homeland. To uplift her spirits he built a multi story garden that would have required 31,000 litres each day to water it, total luxury in Babylon (now present day Iraq).
5. Last but not least is a $50,000 bottle of 170 year old Champagne found off the coast of Finland. The bottles were lost in a storm, only to be discovered almost two centuries later, still sealed and tasting of perfection. Ravi decided that it would be the best gift him and his wife’s 10th anniversary and beat out some stiff competition so he could present one of the oldest untainted champange to his bride of 10 years.
Of course these extravances are not needed to impress on Valentines day, a little lingerie, a well cooked meal, and some music is more than enough. Valentines in the 2012 year (still feels funny writing that) falls on a Tuesday, so I will be showcasing some recipes that are make ahead, so you can have an easy and relaxed night.
This is a devine dessert right in time for Valentines Day. This is the perfect cheesecake for a romantic evening. It is made the night before, easy to alter to your tastes by simply chancing the accomping sauce, and is light enough that you won’t feel ill afterwards. It is highly spreadable and lickable. Only 7 ingrediants and less than 15 minutes prep time you won’t even need to break a sweat. It is so easy that on the big day you will only need to fuss over which piece of lingerie to wear.
300 ml cream
1 T vanilla essence
125 g plain biscuits (half a pack)
250 g cream cheese- Room temperature and I mean it. If it has only been out for an hour it will not beat smooth
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup icing sugar
80 g melted butter
1. Beat the biscuits into a fine crumb, mix in granulated sugar and melted butter. Pat into a pan lined with baking paper at the bottom
2. Whip cream with vanilla until it forms soft billowy peaks
3. Beat cream cheese and icing sugar until flawless velvety smooth.
4. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and beat it into the cream cheese mixture without mercy. Don’t worry about knocking the air out.
5. Gently fold in the remaining cream and mix.
6. Plop on top of the the crumb base and leave in the fridge to set.
Top with your favourite sweets, I have pictured it with fresh strawberries, homemade caramel sauce and cherry conserve.
PS. We have a great selection of Valentines Day Lingerie for you pleasure (or his)
Smiling is sexy. It will make the opposite sex more attracted to you, uplift your own mood by the simple act. If you don’tbelieve me, smile and then rate your mood. It also reduces stress and puts those around you at ease. Smiling is worthwhile activity, here is how to cram more of into your day.
1. Start the day off right the night before. This is the most boring tip in the blog post, it gets more fun and sexy from here. Each night pack y0ur self for the next day. Fill your bag with DVDS to return, that piece of paper you need notarised, take out the meat for tea, and pack the lunches. Feeling frazzled each morning does not to improve the mood. So start the day off right, get ready the night before. On to the more sexy tips!
2. Connect with someone different every day. The 5 minute email, 10 minute phone call or 2 minute chat in the street, I am not talking about having a coffee date everyday! If there is one thing studies on happiness show that is how connected to the world around us that improves our happiness. Even if you have great coworkers (and lucky you if you do), someone different will lift your mood. In that brief meeting you might learn something, hear a great joke or just relax a bit. Remember to smile! It’s social lubrication.
3. Plan your pleasure. In the world we live in it is sensible to believe that the wheels of romance need to be greased. This involves making sure your closets are full of clothes that fit you well, a lingerie drawer full of pretty colours and shower gel that smells heavenly. As for the lover in your life, you probably already know which part of your body they love to look at it, flaunt it. From there it is only a matter of time.
4. Have something sent to you. Whether you want to shop online, or get a funny email sent to you, the selection of the internet is before you. Anticipation is exciting, as well taking the time to find something that pleases you specifically will feeling a little happier, a little shinier.
5. Make everyday that little bit special. If you always wait to wear lingerie, use the crystal, or break open that bottle of wine, it will not be often enough. Sometimes we don’t have good days, so relish the good moments. It just might be that using the crystal with the wine in it, while wearing lingerie will be the only good that that happened to you that day.
Smiling is important, it lifts up those around us and makes us feel better. It adds a non-sensual layer of pleasure to the day, if done often enough